The Pandoteira project invites you to Oroklini lake on Saturday February 3rd, 2024, for a celebration dedicated to World Wetlands Day.
Join us at the Oroklini lake main bird hide, at 9am for:
- Exploring water invertebrates,
- Arts & crafts for kids and
- A short walk at the lake.
The activities will be coordinated by Terra Cypria and will be executed with the support of representatives from the: Department of Environment, Game and Fauna Service, BirdLife Cyprus and Federation of Environmental Organisations of Cyprus.
Why celebrate World Wetlands Day?
World Wetlands Day is an opportunity to remember the vital role wetlands play in the environment and human wellbeing. It is also an opportunity to raise public awareness about the need to conserve and sustainably manage wetlands. In addition, it gives us the opportunity to celebrate the beauty and biodiversity of wetlands. Lastly, World Wetlands Day promotes the importance of conserving these unique ecosystems for present and future generations.
Why are wetlands so important to us?
Wetlands are vital for human survival and offer multiple benefits. For example, they:
- Provide refuge to 40% of the world’s plant and animal species.
- Filter pollutants naturally, leaving water we can safely drink, while they hold and provide most of our freshwater.
- Protect us against floods and drought.
- Prevent soil erosion.
- Provide us with food and supply livelihoods.
- Boost our fight against climate change by storing large amounts of carbon dioxide.
- Attract 50% of international tourists, thus supporting 8.9% of the world’s total employment.
- Contribute to improved mental health and wellbeing.
Photo: Marios Andreou (Frederick University)